Presented below is our summary of significant Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance and relevant tax matters for the week of January 9, 2023 – January 13, 2023.
January 9, 2023: The IRS released Internal Revenue Bulletin 2023-2, which highlights the following:
- Announcement 2023-2: This announcement provides transitional guidance with respect to the reporting of information on digital assets. Specifically, brokers are not required to report additional information on the disposition of digital assets until final regulations under Sections 6045 and 6045A are issued.
- Notice 2023-8: This notice provides guidance for brokers to comply with the provisions of the final regulations under Section 1446(f) and certain provisions of the final regulations that apply to Section 1446(a) that relate to withholding on the transfer of an interest in a publicly traded partnership.
- Revenue Rule 2023-1: This revenue ruling provides the applicable federal rates for federal income tax purposes for January 2023. The short-term federal interest rate will decrease to 4.50%, the mid-term rate will drop to 3.85% and the long-term rate will fall to 3.84%.
- Treasury Decision 9970: This document includes final regulations that provide an automatic extension for providers of minimum essential coverage (including health insurance issuers, self-insured employers and government agencies) to furnish individual statements regarding such coverage and an alternative method for furnishing individual statements when the individual shared responsibility payment amount is zero. The final regulations also provide an automatic extension for applicable large employers to furnish statements relating to health insurance that they offer to their full-time employees.
- Notice 2023-5: This notice provides updates on the corporate bond monthly yield curve, the corresponding spot segment rates and the 24-month average segment rates under Section 430(h)(2). This notice also provides guidance on the interest rate for 30-year Treasury securities as in effect for plan years beginning before 2008 and the 30-year Treasury weighted average rate.
- Notice 2023-4: This notice provides the percentage increase for calculating the qualifying payment amounts for items and services furnished during 2023 with respect to Sections 9816 and 9817 of the Internal Revenue Code, Sections 716 and 717 of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 and Sections 2799A-1 and 2799A-2 of the Public Health Service Act.
- Notice 2023-06: This notice explains the requirements for fuel to be eligible for the sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) credit, how to claim the credit and who must be registered. The SAF credit was created by the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 and applies to a qualified fuel mixture containing SAF for certain uses or sales in the 2023 and 2024 calendar years.
January 9, 2023: The IRS released Tax Tip 2023-02, advising people to hang up if scammers call during tax season. The IRS says it will never (1) call to demand immediate payment using [...]