Check out our summary of significant Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance and relevant tax matters for the week of March 27, 2023 – March 31, 2023.
March 27, 2023: The IRS released Internal Revenue Bulletin 2023-13, which highlights the following:
- Notice 2023-23: This notice provides guidance to financial institutions on reporting required minimum distributions (RMDs) for 2023 after the amendment to Section 401(a)(9) made by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2023. If an individual retirement account (IRA) owner has an RMD due in 2023, the financial institution that is the trustee, custodian, or issuer maintaining the IRA must file a 2022 Form 5498 (IRA Contribution Information) by May 31, 2023, and indicate by checking Box 11 that an RMD is required.
- Revenue Procedure 2023-13: This procedure provides the general rules and specifications for paper and computer-generated substitutes for the following:
- Form 941, Employer’s QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return
- Schedule B (Form 941), Report of Tax Liability for Semiweekly Schedule Depositors
- Schedule D (Form 941), Report of Discrepancies Caused by Acquisitions, Statutory Mergers, or Consolidations
- Schedule R (Form 941), Allocation Schedule for Aggregate Form 941 Filers
- Form 8974, Qualified Small Business Payroll Tax Credit for Increasing Research Activities.
- Revenue Procedure 2023-18: This procedure addresses how to apply to be a certified professional employer organization (CPEO), the requirements for a CPEO to remain certified and the procedures relating to suspension and revocation of CPEO certification.
- Notice 2023-24: This notice provides guidance under Section 45J relating to the credit for the production of electricity from advanced nuclear power facilities. The notice provides (1) guidance for computing the Section 45J credit; (2) the amount of the unutilized national megawatt capacity limitation; (3) the procedures for taxpayers to apply for allocations of—and that the IRS will use to allocate—the unutilized national megawatt capacity limitation solely with respect to facilities that the US Department of Energy previously certified as “advanced nuclear facilities” and (4) the procedures for a “qualified public entity” to elect to transfer the Section 45J credit to an “eligible project partner.”
- Notice 2023-26: This notice provides adjustments to the limitation on housing expenses for purposes of Section 911 for specific locations for 2023. These adjustments are based on geographic differences in housing costs relative to housing costs in the United States.
- Revenue Procedure 2023-17: This procedure provides indexing adjustments for the applicable dollar amounts under Sections 4980H(c)(1) and (b)(1). These indexed amounts are used to calculate the employer-shared responsibility payments under Section 4980H(a) and (b)(1), respectively.
- Revenue Procedure 2023-19: This procedure provides information to any individual who failed to meet Section 911(d)(1) eligibility requirements for 2022 because of adverse conditions in a foreign country.
March 27, 2023: The IRS released a warning as part of the [...]