Check out our summary of significant Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance and relevant tax matters for the week of October 23, 2023 – October 27, 2023.
October 23, 2023: The IRS is recruiting volunteers for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. VITA and TCE participants prepare millions of tax returns each year for low- to moderate-income taxpayers at no cost. No experience is necessary to volunteer. Volunteers will have the option to participate both in-person and via virtual sites. To learn more about becoming a VITA or TCE volunteer, visit IRS Tax Volunteers.
October 23, 2023: The IRS warned taxpayers to be wary of criminals falsely posing as legitimate charities to solicit donations. Donors can use the Tax-Exempt Organization Search tool on IRS.gov to find or verify legitimate charities.
October 23, 2023: The IRS released Internal Revenue Bulletin 2023-43, which includes the following:
- Final regulations and proposed regulations that reduce the user fee to apply for or renew a preparer tax identification number (PTIN) from $21 to $11 (plus an amount payable directly to a third-party contractor).
- Revenue Procedure 2023-28 provides guidelines for the development, printing and approval of 2023 substitute tax forms.
- Proposed regulations that would provide guidance on §§ 30D(g) and 25E(f), including guidance involving:
- Elections to transfer new and previously owned clean vehicle credits
- Dealer qualifications for becoming an eligible entity that can receive advance payments of new and previously owned clean vehicle credits
- Credit recapture.
- Revenue Procedure 2023-33 sets forth the procedures for transferring new and previously owned clean vehicle credits from a taxpayer to an eligible entity under §§ 30D(g) and 25E(f), including procedures for dealer registration with the IRS, procedures for the suspension and revocation of said registration and the establishment of an advance payments program to registered dealers. This revenue procedure also provides guidance on the submission of seller reports and reports by qualified manufacturers.
October 24, 2023: The IRS reminded tax return preparers to renew their PTINs ahead of the upcoming tax filing season. Information to begin the online renewal process can be accessed here. Failure to have and to use a valid PTIN may result in penalties.
October 25, 2023: The IRS published Tax Tip 2023-118, which notes that tax professionals can use Tax Pro Accounts to send powers of attorney and tax information authorization requests directly to a client’s individual IRS Online Account.
October 25, 2023: The deadline to comment on proposed regulations involving information reporting, backup withholding and the determination of amount realized and basis for digital assets sales was extended from October 30, 2023, to November 13, 2023.