Presented below is our summary of significant Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance and relevant tax matters for the week of December 26, 2022 – December 30, 2022.
December 26, 2022: The IRS released Internal Revenue Bulletin 2022-52, which highlights the following:
- Proposed Regulations 106134-22: These proposed regulations identify certain syndicated conservation easement (SCE) transactions and substantially similar transactions as “listed transactions,” which means they must be reported to the IRS.
- Revenue Procedure 2022-43: This procedure sets out the final qualified intermediary withholding agreement (QI agreement), which began on January 1, 2023. The QI agreement allows certain people to enter into an agreement with the IRS to simplify their obligations as withholding agents and as payors for amounts paid to their account holders and allows certain people to act as qualified derivatives dealers and assume primary withholding and reporting responsibilities on all dividend equivalent payments they make.
- Announcement 2022-28: This announcement is released in conjunction with the above proposed regulations that identify certain SCE transactions as “listed transactions.” The announcement explains that the regulations are being proposed in response to certain court decisions holding that the Administrative Procedure Act requires the IRS to identify listed transactions through notice-and-comment rulemaking and that the IRS plans to issue additional regulations related to other “listed transactions.”
- Notice 2022-61: This notice provides guidance on the prevailing wage and apprenticeship requirements, as amended by the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA). This notice also serves as the published guidance establishing the 60-day period with respect to the applicability of the prevailing wage and apprenticeship requirements.
- Proposed Regulations 113839-22: This document contains proposed regulations that treat members of a consolidated group as a single US shareholder in certain cases for purposes of Section 951(a)(2)(B). The proposed regulations affect consolidated groups that own stock of foreign corporations.
- Revenue Procedure 2022-42: This procedure provides guidance on new rules added as part of the IRA on how to enter into a written agreement with the IRS to provide periodic written reports containing specified information related to a clean vehicle manufactured. It also provides the procedures for people selling vehicles to report information to the IRS in order for the vehicle to be eligible for the credit.
December 27, 2022: The IRS and the US Department of the Treasury (Treasury) announced interim guidance on the corporate stock repurchase excise tax. Notice 2023-2 provides the interim guidance on the new 1% excise tax on a covered corporation’s repurchases of corporate stock under Section 4501. (Section 4501 was added as part of the IRA.) The notice provides an exclusive list of Section 317(b) redemption transactions that are treated as Section 317(b) redemption but are not repurchases, as well as an exclusive list of transitions that are economically similar transactions. The notice applies to stock [...]